Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2009

Java - All hail to the successor of COBOL

I am not an expert in trekking down all hypes about which i read recently.

There always seemed to be a new better web framework in the past years. There always seemed the better and faster enterprise solution for your java coding. There always was the brand new IDE which made coding java even easier.

And since Ruby: There always seemed to be a better language than java. Honestly, i do not give much to the opionion of others and try to make my own mind. But the huge amount of useless syntatic salt and the very low expressiveness of the language is amazing to any experienced developer. I will explain that by my own experiences with languages:

The past..
At first this just was an article I read in a java magazine about a brand new language called "Groovy" which told me about the "problems" my then supposed workhose for ever on, java, had. At the time, I tried that nice new thing to become modern and cool developer - Only to stumble back to my old tools, when realizing the lack of IDE-Support, a built-in problem of dynamic languages, cost me more times then the more powerful language would give.

2 years later...
  • After one year, I began to hate frameworks for the fact that many of them make coding harder and not easier (stupid non programmatic syntax). I began to pray for simple coding in java again..
  • In the same year, I began using javascript and after some weeks, i used the hell out of anonymous functions. Then my prayers for java turned into curses when thinking about the fact that a dynamic , browserincompatible and horribly designed language (thinking about === for comparisions, i.e. and millions of flaws integrated by MS) was actually more fun and challenging to use than my former favorite pet.
  • Also in the same year, I read everything about reflection, inner classes and desperately searched for a way to make closures work without 5 lines of inner-class-clutter to turn java into a more suitable tool.
  • From then to now on, I am forced to code in Java 4 - and my workhose turned into an ugly and unfriendly bitch which neither understand how to do something repeatedly without 2000 words and It had a serious memory problem in the case that it could not remember that a set of 5 Apples consisted of ... 5 Apples without telling her again and again
Nowadays, I am a realistic in that case that i know that i have to stick with that bitch, but still looking desperatly for business-ready alternatives. And when I see all the shiny stuff microsoft enabled with C# on an nearly equal plattform i begin to realize the secret intend in sun's unwillingness to change anything since 5.0:

They just want to create "COBOL OF THE FUTURE" (COTF),
a rock in terms of lines of code and libraries, but more and more ackward for the programmers struggling for more expressiveness.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen